Monarto is the largest open range zoo in Australia. It is a 1,500 hectare open-range sanctuary undertaking a major role nationally and internationally in breeding programs for rare and endangered species. It is the home of South Australia’ first ever southern white rhinoceros and Australia’s largest giraffe herd.
The Zu-loop shuttle bus departs the Visitor Centre at regular intervals enabling you to get on and off the bus at a variety of wildlife viewing platforms including, Giraffe, Rhino, Cheetah, Lion, African Painted Dogs and Chimpanzee.
Approximately 10 kilometres of walking tracks meander through the Mallee bush-land of the zoo and can be incorporated with the Zu-loop service for those visitors wishing to be flexible in exploring the zoo.
Just 50 minutes drive from Adelaide and only 15 minutes from the Murray River, Monarto Zoo also offers behind-the-scenes experiences such as Working with Wildlife, Meet our Cheetah and Meet our Lions, providing different levels of interaction with the animals.
The Visitor Centre includes a large Cafe dining area, gift shop, Interpretive centre and Information desk to assist in planning your day at this spectacular zoo
Explore Monarto Zoo by bus!
As you travel around the open plains of Monarto Zoo, you could be forgiven for thinking you’ve stepped out onto your very own African safari! The bus will bring you through our large open-range exhibits, you will get to see our amazing animals in a natural setting and hear more from our passionate guides!
To make the most of your visit, make sure you hop off at our viewing platforms.
- Hop on Hop Off bus
- Only one bus is accessible – If pressed for time call (08) 8534 4100 for departure times.
- Picnic and Rest Areas
- Accessible toilets
- Baby change rooms
GOOD TO KNOW
- Guide dogs – Due to strict quarantine regulations, guide dogs and assistance animals are not permitted to enter the zoo, this is for the safety of zoo animals as well as the assistance animals.
- If the forecast temperature for Monarto is 40 degrees or above or SA County Fire Service declare a Catastrophic Fire Ban in which case the zoo will be closed.
- Sheltered picnic areas are available close to the Visitor Centre
- Tickets can be bought online or at the gate
- Discounted group bookings
- Monarto Zoo App – first Australian zoo to utilise geofencing technology
- Vending Machines – provided throughout the zoo for drinks
- First Aid facilities
General Image Gallery
FACILITIES FOUND HERE
- Coach Parking
- Conference/Convention Facilities
- Enquiry Desk
- Family Friendly
- Food and Refreshments
- Interactive Centre
- Interpretive Centre
- Non Smoking
- Parents Room
- Picnic Area
- Public Toilet
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS BUSINESS?
We’ll keep building on this listing over time, so whether you work here or have been a guest, if you have some GOOD ACCESS information or photos to share, send them through!
Want to help connect travellers to accessible experiences? Check out a few ways you can make a difference.
Is this your business? Here’s a few ways to improve your listing and welcome more people through your doors.